Friday I setup a new grid at Safut using the GPS RTK system we use at Tall Jalul. Saturday I planned on walking the site and gathering points to make a new topographic map, but the GPS rover unit would not communicate with the base station. I spent four hours trying to fix it. Eventually, with the help of my friend Matt back in the States, I realized that one of the radio channels had been switched from 10 to 0. I have no idea how this happened, no one should have any reason to change the channel. In any case, that afternoon I mapped all of the areas that had been excavated and yesterday spent 10 hours walking all over the site for the topographic map. I calculated that I walked over 3000m in distance and elevation change. This afternoon I will (hopefully) finish taking points for the topo map, I just have the very steep slopes down to the wadi left to walk. Tomorrow I will map the architectural features at the site and be almost done.
For a nice account (with pictures!) of an afternoon working at the site see my wife’s blog.